Tuesday, June 5, 2012

{Recipe} Spicy Thai Noodles

We served these amazing noodles at our wine tasting.

I pinned the recipe here.  
The original source is here.
I only had to swap out agave for the honey in the original recipe to make it vegan.
Heat over medium heat: 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil and 1/2 cup vegetable oil with 1-2TBS crushed red pepper. **the original poster said she cut this down to 1 TBS of pepper because the original was too spicy.  I only used 1 TBS and it was incredibly HOT (and we like HOT). I also served it warm because I thought it was a hot dish, which made it even spicier. Once it chilled in the fridge, it wasn't *as* hot but I'd still reduce the amount of crushed red pepper used next time.  I'd also use less oil, it came out a little too oily for our taste.** 
Cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
I might have cooked it a little longer than 2 minutes.
Boil 1 pound of spaghetti (or pasta of your choice).
Toast some sesame seeds in a dry non stick pan until they look like
this.
Strain out the crushed red pepper from the oil mixture. Reserving the oil. 
To the oil, whisk in 6TBS of agave syrup (or honey) and 6 TBS of soy sauce.
Toss mixture with noodles.
Keep tossing until well coated.
"just keep tossing, just keep tossing..."
Then it said refrigerate until ready to serve. I was making it for dinner and serving it warm so I proceeded with the recipe.
Toss in your mix-ins... 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1/4 cup green onions and 1/4 cup peanuts.
Sprinkle on those toasted sesame seeds.
I added in some frozen cilantro but then realized my daughter was growing some fresh cilantro outside so I asked her to cut me some.  The fresh cilantro really made those noodles sing!
Toss it all together and serve.
One rogue noodle...
It was delicious served warm (although mighty spicy!).
It was also delicious (and mellowed a bit) served cold and great a few days later.

Linking up with:
Pin It

17 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

Looks yummy. I like anything that has soy sauce in it! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Katie said...

This looks delicious! I didn't know that honey wasn't vegan, but agave is. Yay for learning something new!

I think I would try this, but with much less spiciness. Once, I made spicy breaded chicken with too much red pepper and I almost died! But my brother puts tons of it on his pizza, he's crazy!

Paige said...

Can't wait to try this. My daughter is engaged to a young man whose Mother is from Thailand. He loves Thai food. I think he will love these noodles.

http://titus2eight.blogspot.com/2012/06/real-titus-2-woman.html

ellen b said...

Looks so tasty! I have really become a cilantro lover in my later years!

lissa said...

looks delicious, though I do like it not-so-spicy.

hope you have a sweet day.

Richard Vinluan said...

wow...love to try this one out. thanks for sharing.

Jeannette StG said...

Have two questions:)
1) Is is recipe called Pad Thai?
2) does it cal for salty or sweet soy sauce?

VBR said...

beautifully presented letter c post!

Karen S. said...

I know what most of us will want to have cooking in our kitchen soon! Great and tasty post!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love spicy noodle dishes...

I am just starting to experiment a little with Agave, so I'll have to try this one soon!

xxoo,

RMW

Katherines Corner said...

that looks wonderful! I will have to substitute cashews for the peanuts though. Thank you for sharing. I'd love to have you add it to the hop at my blog today xo

Andy David said...

Hello.
I love noodles and this looks delicious. If my wife were to make it, she would probably not use so much of the peppers...too much spicy heat is not good for this delicate tummy of mine (smile). Nice presentation. Thanks for sharing & visiting.

Complicated Dreams

Cheryl D. said...

Looks super-yummy! i had no idea that honey wasn't vegan! LOL! Now that I think of it, it makes sense!

anitamombanita said...

We love thai...and we love spicy...so this would be a fun one to try!

Pondside said...

This hits all the notes for me - love Thai-spicy, and anything that tastes good cold is a keeper.

Katherines Corner said...

Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Sorry I'm a little late in saying thank you xo

Jenny said...

This is one of my favorite noodle recipes. I often make it with soba noodles...

Geez.

I am practically drooling here.

Thank you for sharing your deliciously clever recipe!

Must. Go. To. Grocery. Store. NOW!

Thanks for linking.

A+

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails