Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Little Ways We Go Green

We try and "go green" whenever we can and here are a few of the little ways we do.

Recycling
This seems like a no-brainer these days but it's where we started.  Our township started co-mingling recyclables but I still sort them in the house.
Lunches
We've been trying to cut down on school lunch waste with these ideas.
Lunch bag
We love the Vera Bradley lunch bags, they really hold up well and can be thrown in the wash.
We used to use more snack Ziploc bags until we found these...

They can also be machine washed but I usually just hand wash them and let them drip dry.

We stopped buying bottled water (for the most part) a few years ago and switched to refillable bottles, using filtered water from our fridge to fill them.   
Food containers
This is our go-to salad holder for school lunches. It even comes with a knife and fork.
Cloth Napkins
We've switched over to cloth napkins at dinner.  I keep a plain set of grey napkins by the table and they are easy to grab and use. 

Parties
For parties I try and reuse decorations and tablecloths from year to year.  A lot of our serving pieces are thrifted.

Decorations/Cloth Tablecloths
{I always use paper napkins for parties unless it's a small dinner party.}
I bought a set of 50 of these 9 inch clear glass plates from Ikea a few years ago and they've been great for parties.  They go with everything and easy to store away when I'm not using them.

Cleaning
One of my favorite things for cleaning just about everything are these microfiber cloths.  They are the best thing on our granite countertops and the glass cooktop.  I can put them on my Swiffer mop and do the floors too.
Donating rather than throwing away is good for the environment.  Also when I de-clutter, I see what I actually have and that prevents me from making duplicate purchases.

Meatless Mondays (and other days)
We're mostly meat-free around here but even going vegetarian for one meal a week can make a difference.
Vegetarian Pot Pie
Shopping
Reusable shopping bags
I love my reusable shopping bags from Trader Joe's.  It's become almost second nature to remember to bring them with me whenever I shop.

Thrifting
{Thrift Shop Challenge}
You know how I love my thrifting adventures and that's all about reducing/reusing/recycling!

We're far from perfect and could do more things I'm sure but this is a pretty good start.
Do you have any tips or ideas to help us go even more "green".
Linking up with:
Friday Favorites
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Catch A Glimpse
Creative Corner
Pin It

12 comments:

Bliss said...

I gotta get one of those salad/dressing combos.

lindalou said...

I really like those reusable snack bags. I'll keep my eye out for them.

Great suggestions.

Katie said...

These are really great tips!

You know, when we first moved to Baton Rouge, they didn't have recycling. Well, they still don't, but the town we moved to does recycle. I didn't like throwing out our recyclables, so I'm really glad they have it here!

Those Vera Bradley lunch bags are AWESOME! In fact, there is one on my desk right now. We always try to bring lunch too, in addition to going green, it saves so much money too!

You are awesome for remembering your bags! I always forget mine, but I think its because we found a new spot for the bags in the house and I forget that they are there!

Katie said...

Oh my gosh - and I forgot to tell you how awesome those reusable snack bags are! I want to get some, since I've started pre-portioning all of our snacks instead of leaving them in the packages (for Weight Watchers!) I have to invest in some reusable bags!

Kathy McB said...

Cute snack bags!

Tamar SB said...

I haven't bought ziploc bags in 2 years! I use glass jars and containers and try to cut down on waste as much as possible. My lunch bag is actually one we've used since I was in elementary school - I will use it until it falls apart!

Becky said...

Awesome tips!!! We do some of these, but I really like the reusable snack bag idea. I found on Pinterest where you can use polar fleece on your swiffer. It works amazing!!!! I love the micro fiber cloths for cleaning too! I also have switched to apple cider vinegar and water to clean virtually everything in the house!!

Ida said...

I must say that I admire you for all that you are doing to help the environment. We recycle what we can but I also have to admit to not doing as much as we could.

Carla from The River said...

I love all your ideas.
The reusable snack bags are a great idea and a must for me to get into.
I like micro cloths for cleaning too. I would like to try it with the swiffer, I have not done that yet.
We are good at keeping our bags in our truck. Took us awhile, but finally got a system down. :-)
I enjoyed this post. Thank You!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I too use most all of these planet loving options. I try to stick with glass storage versus plastic for leftovers and such as it is a better option.

laura@imnotatrophywife.com said...

Hi Heather
This is a Friday Favorites Feature and I am showing the last photo in my feature because I am known as the bag lady at my Kroger BECAUSE if I forget my recycle bags I tell them, "don't bag it" I can get $140 in groceries with maybe 2 plastic bags. I don't bag liquids and anything already in a sturdy bag ! I love this! it's my mission too!!! laura

Donna Wilkes said...

All great ideas. I try to find my clothes at thrift shops and reduce the garbage each week. Please remember the germs on the reusable grocery bags and clean them after each use.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails